Some Background:



Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Earth Day 2013


Well its been a while since I've posted, new job, new house, wedding, but its time to start talking about earth day 2013 and I couldn't miss that! While Jaden Smith may be doing a earth day/ canopy project message to promote a new movie, that doesn't really matter because it still increases awareness of the issues and a new movie may mean some new people to join the movement.

Watch Jaden Smith's message here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm1UtGqpyLU&feature=youtu.be
He asks that everyone plant a tree. That sounds simple. Now lets remember not an invasive species and preferably native. And to donate to help plant trees where they need them the most.
I have been participating in this campaign in my own small way for years. its easy and all it takes is a little time and sometimes money. But even if you don't have any extra cash it can be as simple as helping at a local garden or planting some acorns or even asking your neighbor if they have any spouts off their tree. (I've done this and it actually is a good conversation starter- I do it with flowers too).

I feel like this campaign is a great transition into Arbor day, another nature oriented day that comes on April 26th. For more info visit the arbor day foundation website (ps they run good sales on saplings around this time and I've had pretty good luck with them!).

For more information: http://www.earthday.org/2013/


* I also feel that i cannot post today without sending my prayers and thoughts for the people effected by the bombings in Boston yesterday. On the radio this morning, it was said that we should focus on those who ran towards the bombs to help people and that we need to remember that despite all the horror we have experienced as a nation that the good people still outnumber the bad. May people and the city recover and may those who inflicted this pain be brought to a swift justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment